Parent Forum and Parent Council
All parents of children at Lairhillock Nursery or School belong to the Parent Forum. Any parent or guardian of a child at Lairhillock Nursery or School can volunteer to be a member of the Parent Council. We are fortunate to have a very supportive and active Parent Council at Lairhillock. The Head Teacher enjoys a close, open working relationship with the Parent Council to ensure a helpful partnership with the school. Lairhillock Parent Council meets at least once a term and its objectives are to:
- work in partnership with the school to create a welcoming school that is inclusive to all parents
- promote partnerships between the school, its pupils and all its parents
- develop and engage in activities which support the education and welfare of pupils
- identify and represent the views of parents on the education provided by the school and other matters affecting the education and welfare of the pupils
- organise events to raise funds for the education and well being of pupils
- give parents and staff the opportunity to participate in the informal aspects of school life
Parent Councils are now established in almost all Aberdeenshire primary and secondary schools. The Scottish Schools (Parental Involvement) Act 2006 recognises the vital role that parents play in supporting their children’s learning.
The basic principle under-pinning the Act is the desire to have children become more ‘confident learners’ through closer working between each family and the school.
All parents are welcome to attend meetings, unless the Parent Council is discussing an issue that it considers should be dealt with on a confidential basis.
You can find out more about your Parent Council by contacting the Parent Council Chair or the Head Teacher. email@example.com is our Parent Council email address.